Monty the pug skewered himself after swallowing an eight-inch kebab stick – forcing his owners to pay for a £6,000 operation to remove it.
The stick had pierced his diaphragm and lungs but his owner Sharon Perry, 61, only noticed when he couldn’t bend or sit down and began falling asleep standing up.
Ms Perry, from Bexleyheath, Kent, said: ‘Talk about the most expensive kebab ever. He must have gobbled it when my back was turned on a walk.’
Monty managed to swallow the wooden stick without his owner Sharon Perry noticing. He is pictured after his operation, left, while on the right is a copy of a CT scan showing the stick in white. Both images are undated
Monty has the surname Vanderhook after his owner Sharon’s maiden name. Pictured: The stick after being removed from his stomach
The owner said she had no idea how Monty managed to swallow the stick whole on October 4, but noticed something was wrong when he stopped eating.
‘He’s usually a gannet – a real greedy pug,’ she said. ‘That evening I was putting my feet up to watch the TV and he wouldn’t sit down.
‘I went over to him to try and make his bum sit to the floor but he wasn’t having it. I was saying “sit, sit!” and I just thought he was in a strop ignoring me.
‘Then he started falling asleep standing up which wasn’t like him. I told my husband Monty was being a bit off so we decided to take him round the vets the next morning.’
Monty stares at the stick after recovering from his operation in this undated image
Mrs Perry said she was shocked when a CT scan identified the wooden stick.
‘It was only when he had the CT scan that it showed up as the other tests didn’t show wood,’ she said.
‘When the vet told me they had to keep him in because there was a kebab stick inside of him I was just in plain shock.
‘I had a phone call that evening saying the operation had happened but “it was still touch and go”. That was me gone.
‘I was absolutely hysterical. I was on the floor crying and wailing. I thought I was going to lose my baby. But he made it through.’
The mother-of-three rushed Monty to the vets the next morning for inconclusive blood tests and X-rays.
Experts at North Downs Specialist Referrals did a CT scan, which showed the kebab stick in his stomach, piercing through his abdomen and diaphragm into his chest, and sticking out between his ribs.
Monty was left with 20 stitches after a two-hour operation on October 10, and had to stay at the vets for three days to recover.
‘I stupidly didn’t have insurance but it wouldn’t have covered him anyway because they would say he inflicted it on himself,’ she said,
‘There’s no way the insurance will touch him now with his track record. The staff were superb. I can’t thank them enough for saving his life.’
Monty in the arms of his owner after recovering from the operation (left) and the scar showing where vets removed it (right)
Mrs Perry wants to warn fellow dog owners.
‘I now see kebab sticks everywhere when I go out on walks,’ she said.
‘People must just be munching on a chicken satay and throwing the sticks on the floor without a second thought. But I’m just so thankful he’s OK. He’s my baby.’
A spokesman for North Downs Specialist Referrals said: ‘It could have been fatal, depending on where the stick got lodged and the infection that could have been caused by it.
‘People disposing of kebab sticks after an alfresco BBQ need to ensure they are in a secure bin, and we would urge dog owners to keep a close eye on anything their dog may be chewing.’
A spokesman for North Downs Specialist Referrals said: ‘It could have been fatal, depending on where the stick got lodged and the infection that could have been caused by it.’ Pictured: Monty after his long recovery